This will be my first time being single on Valentine’s Day since 2015.
A small part of me is bitter about it but I’m mostly kind of psyched. I don’t have to worry about buying a sentimental gift or scramble to make a last-minute reservation the day before. No effort is required on my part and I’m here for it!
Today is my last day as a twenty-four year old human.
I’m feeling lots of feelings. On one hand, I’m thrilled this year is over because it was a doozy. I’m ready for a new age. On the other hand, I’m a little sad that my early twenties are past me. College life is long gone and fun twenty-one seems so far away.
As my 25th birthday approaches, I’ve been thinking a lot about my where and who I was in my younger years. It’s pretty wild to consider how much I’ve grown and changed since I was five, ten, sixteen, or twenty-one.
I’m beyond excited to embark on my first California solo trip on Wednesday, May 30th! Visiting California as an adult has been a deep desire of mine for the last few years (I visited Los Angeles and San Diego when I was a kid), and it’s finally happening!
On this specific trip, I’ll be hitting up the Los Angeles area, San Francisco, and a few spots in between (generally near the coast) in a rental car. This trip will last for eight days with my return on the evening of June 7th.
I’ve only booked a few things and intend to keep it that way. Besides knowing what area I’ll generally be in on most days and having hotel/motel/hostel accommodations, I’m going to wing most of my plans and see where my feet take me. My spirit is the most engaged whenever I’m exploring a new place and following my intuition. This adventure, therefore, is a pure act of self-love.
Check out my dreamy to-do list for this trip specifically. I know I will not be able to do everything on this list in eight days, but hey, there’s always next time! It’s chronological, so I’ll be starting in Anaheim first, looping up to San Fran, and ending back in LA. Anything in bold has been completed! Also keep in mind that I’m purposefully skipping many of the touristy LA attractions, I did them when I was younger aim to avoid them this time around. I’ll be sure to update this post upon my return!
My Los Angeles ↔︎ San Francisco + In Between To-Do List
Anaheim: Disneyland Park & California Adventure
- Be at a park for rope drop/park opening – Done at Disneyland and California Adventure
- Enjoy a dole whip at the Enchanted Tiki Room – Done, YUM!
- Watch Fantasmic!
- Go on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
- Take a moment to look at Walt’s apartment
- Ride the mountains: Splash, Space, Big Thunder, and the Matterhorn – Did Space once, and all the others twice
- Eat the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans
- Touch the Apple near Snow White’s Scary Adventure
- Get a queso cone in Cars Land
- Explore Sleeping Beauty’s Castle
- Befriend a cast member
- Ride the monorail
- Stay at a park until closing
- Visit Downtown Disney late at night
San Luis Obispo:
- Stay overnight at the Madonna Inn
- Sit by the pool at the Madonna Inn
- Visit Pismo Beach
- Hike along the hills at sunrise and/or sunset
- Check out Bubblegum Alley
- Stop by Mission Plaza
- Say hi to the seals at Fisherman’s Wharf
- Listen to the Wave Organ
- Look at the Painted Ladies
- Eat in Chinatown
- Take a ride on the trolley
- Climb the mosaic staircase in Golden Gate Heights
- Visit the City Lights Bookstore
- Hang out at Haight and Ashbury
- Watch the sun rise at Marshall’s beach
- Take a whiff at the Conservatory of Flowers
- Explore Alcatraz
- Check out the Mission
- Go to the Walt Disney Family Museum
- See the Golden Gate Bridge
- Walk Land’s End Trail
- Learn more about Harvey Milk in the Castro area
- Drink an Irish coffee from the Buena Vista
- Check out nearby cities like Berkley and Oakland
- Stop by Redwoods Regional Park
Los Angeles Area:
- Visit Marina del Rey
- Stop by Venice Beach and explore the canals
- Go to Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Santa Monica
- Ride the ferris wheel on the Santa Monica pier
- Eat ice cream from Salt and Straw
- Climb the rocks at El Matador Beach
- Check out Little Toyko
- Hang out in the LA Arts District
- Visit LACMA, the Broad Museum, and the Getty Center
- Watch the sun rise at Zuma Beach
- Walk on Melrose Avenue
In Between Options:
- Drive along parts of Highway 1
- Go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Walk around Davis
- Stop by Solvang for a Danish experience
- Visit Moonstone Beach Park in Cambria
- Check out the County Courthouse in Santa Barbara
- Watch whales in the Pacific
- Walk through Ventura Harbor Village
- Venture into wine country
- Take a trip to the Channel Islands
Is anything missing from my list? Leave your suggestions in the comments!
Banner Photo Credit: Pedro Szekely