For the past few weeks, I’ve been battling a nasty sinus infection/cold/cough. It hit me right in the middle of my parents’ visit to my new apartment over Thanksgiving and lingered through the first few days of December.
Getting sick is all around miserable (as I’m sure you know.) All I wanted to do was sleep but my dog and congestion had other ideas. I was in a grumbly mood about spending too much money on tissue boxes and cough drops and annoyed at myself for coughing through my little brother’s birthday dinner. I wasn’t getting better fast enough and that just made me more disgruntled.
Today is my last day as a twenty-four year old human.
I’m feeling lots of feelings. On one hand, I’m thrilled this year is over because it was a doozy. I’m ready for a new age. On the other hand, I’m a little sad that my early twenties are past me. College life is long gone and fun twenty-one seems so far away.
Admit it: there’s nothing better than feeling pampered and unwinding. Treating yourself can be a great way to de-stress, but the price tag associated with more expensive self-care options like vacations, spa visits, and shopping sprees can be an obstacle when you’re trying to save money.
The good news is that there are plenty of ways to practice self-care without spending a dime! Here’s a list of fifty free or cheap ways to treat yourself:
- Take a walk
- Listen to a podcast
- Call a friend and have a heart to heart
- Lay in the sunshine (with adequate sun-protection, of course!)
- Dance around your room
- Write in a journal
- Look for a free fitness class in your area
- Spend quality time with your pets (or find a friend who has pets)
- Check out free events in your community
- Wake up in time to watch the sun rise
- Try a new recipe that features your favorite ingredients
- Rearrange your furniture and decorations
- Play music that makes your heart sing
- Take out a new book from your local library
- Plan a day off from work
- Find a nearby hiking trail you haven’t been to before
- Window shop and make a wish list of your favorite finds
- Doodle or color
- Get dressed up when you feel like it
- Stay in your pajamas when you feel like it
- Search for a new mantra
- Take a long bath or shower
- Snuggle under a blanket with a cup of tea
- Volunteer for a cause you care about
- Add new things to your bucket list
- Dig up old pictures and put your favorites on your fridge
- Stretch your body
- Watch silly videos online
- Use the beauty products hiding in the back of your cabinet
- Hug a friend
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger
- Write down your favorite inspirational quotes
- Take deep, slow breaths
- Make a homemade gift or card for someone special
- Water the plants
- Water yourself
- Visit a museum with free admittance
- Look up at the stars on a clear night
- Try a new (affordable) hobby
- Roll down the windows when you’re driving
- Masturbate or have sex with a partner you trust
- Find a free crossword puzzle to do
- Prepare today for an easier tomorrow
- Re-read your favorite book
- Go to bed early
- Visit a garden and smell the flowers
- Practice gratitude
What’s your favorite way to treat yourself on a budget? Let us know in the comments!
Have a little cash and want to treat yourself? Check out 20 Inexpensive Products to Treat Yourself To.